Monday, June 23, 2008

Exciting Canadian Facts:

I have been tallying up the interesting things about London and Canada in general that I find most interesting...

1. "Eh" is highly catchy. BEWARE! You will be suseptable. There are no limitations to the uses for "Eh". I fear when you talk to me again I will be completely beyond repair... and I might like it.

2. $1 coins are called "Loonies" and $2 coins are called "Toonies". ALSO: although canadian coins look different than US, no one cares about you using US coins. "IT'S ALL THE SAME TO US" is the answer I got.

3. In general, people here are SUPER courteous and polite.

4. Corn dogs are called "pogo's"

5. They serve gravy with fries

6. Humidity is by far the worst thing that happens... EVER. Everyone complains.

7. Farmers keep their lands absolutely PRISTINE. The country side is so tidy it looks fake.

8. Lots of Londoners refer to Quebec as "Ka-bek" Apparently the french style. Although people we met from Quebec say it like we do in the states.

9. Milk is sold in bags. As in, you slide your bag of milk inside a pitcher and cut off the corner and use it like that. The liter bags are quite handy.

10. Tons of parks and all of them have Splash Pads for the 2 hot months in the summer. London is VERY kid friendly.

11. In London we have not only a street named "Wonderland" but a housing development called "Sherwood Forest". It feels very fairytail-ish in that area. :)

12. Gas is $6 a gallon (sold in liters). OUCH!

13. Sales tax is 13% and about everything is 50% more expensive.

14. Half of our local channels are in French

15. We are loving it... although we are currently taking donations to pay for food and gas. :)

3 comments:

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

These are exciting facts! I love the idiosyncrasies of new places. I've been planning a similar post about MI. Not foreign...yet SO foreign.

If you want I'll buy your groceries and gas and throw them to you across the border. ;)

Mary Bentley Williams said...

Alisa, I think MI might have MORE idiosyncrasies. Honestly, the MI-ers I know do have their quarky habits!

Melanie S said...

I am so happy to hear about you - I laughed, I cried, I loved it. You're the greatest. I hope you are doing well. And hooray for a girl! I am having surgery in July, so maybe I can get her a little friend. Miss you!!!