Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dissertations and Dinners

Tomorrow is Zach's thesis dissertation. He took his boards last spring which was SOOOO nice to have completed and for him to not have to spend spare time in the basement studying. But he's still been working on his thesis which has taken it's fair share of time. So tomorrow is a REALLY exciting day for the both of us. The thesis defense is from 5-? It goes as late as it needs to but we're required to provide a meal. Well we decided to give them a taste of Utah and I'm making Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Salads. Not the easy coke/brown sugar recipe, but this is the 3 days of cooking variety. It's an incredible copycat recipe my friend Kristen led me to and it's ROCKING! I've finished the rice and meat and tomorrow is guacamole, beans, tortillas and all the extra prep. Every time I try the rice and meat my knees buckle and I throw my head back in joy.
It's really fun for me to be able to directly contribute to something... I know it's food but it's a huge love language of mine. Wish me luck on the rest of the recipe and getting it set up and still warm when they need to eat it. :) My incredible friend from church is making a lemon lime cheese cake for me... I could cry I'm so grateful. I'll give you an update when the marathon is over. :)

4 comments:

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

I feel like such a schmuck that we didn't even talk about Zach's thesis at dinner! This is the big time.

WOO-HOO!!!

I'm sure his defense will be superb (albeit difficult) and your dinner will knock it out of the park. :)

I'm also intrigued that part of the culture is to provide a meal.

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

I will definately be trying this recipe! Thanks for sharing!! Your girls are getting so big and they are cuties!! Glad the boards are over and you are finishing up a thesis dissertation!!! YIKEs not fun stuff!

Jer + Lu said...

Wow. Way to go. That's quite the project for you! But I can't believe you have to provide a meal. That's just weird...

alybring said...

Mary it is time you came out of the dark and updated your blog!! Just giving you are hard time. I don't even have a blog so what am I talking about. Update please so I have something to read!!