Friday, October 16, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

You're reading it right, we've just had a lovely Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday. I successfully provided the entire turkey feast this year... it was exciting... the turkey was only 2 hours late to get out of the oven while the rest of the food was getting cold. That's at least an improvement over last year when the turkey came out totally dry because I added no fluid. :) You live and learn. We planned on 4pm for dinner so it wasn't a big deal to eat at 6. :) Zach's parents and grandparents drove out for 5 days and joined in the festivities so it's really felt like a holiday. Plus, it's supposed to start snowing any minute now. Very festive.

Since the cold is coming on strong, I've been a baking/cooking fool. Butternut Squash Bisque, pumkin pie(actually that was Zach), apple crisp, stuffed green peppers, bran muffins and Banana Pancakes. yum... I'm making myself hungry. I've decided that's my favorite way to show love... foodf, probably my favorite way to recieve it too.. Just like Dad. I don't know how the love language book missed that one, Dad and I are all for it. That's why I love the family cookbook so much. Thanks again to everyone and especially Marisa. Since I can't personally cook for you here's a great recipe I've found lately that isn't in the cookbook:

Oat Bran Muffins
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups oat bran (I just used regular bran)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup chilled applesauce
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line or grease 12 muffin cups.
  2. Blend together brown sugar, oat bran, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add eggs, chilled applesauce, and vegetable oil. Mix until well-blended. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Let stand 10 minutes.
  3. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
We continued a year old tradition of going Apple Picking at a farm outside of the city that is really fun. We got a HUGE bag full of Empire, Gala, Golden Delicious, and Granny Smith. I'm salivating already about what we'll be eating. I'm thinking we'll keep it simple and delicious by just having baked apples stuffed with granola tonight... again, yum. Anyone want to come visit us in Ontario? We love visitors. It was so great to have Zach's family here and make great memories. Hope you all enjoy what's left of your Fall. :)

3 comments:

Kimberli said...

wow! All of that food sounds yummy. I am with you on the "food" love language. :) I'll have to give the bran muffins a try. I've never cooked muffins that healthy.

And I wish WE could be one of your visitors. We're actually going to upstate NY for a quick weekend getaway. So... I'm guessing that will be as close to you as I've been in a while! Wait... how far are you from Niagara? I'll call you tomorrow! I miss your laugh!

Jack Attack said...

That all sounds so delish!! I wish we was there baking, eating and festivating with you guys!! xoxo

Jer + Lu said...

Yum! I want to come hang out at your house! Glad to hear you're having such a great time up there :)